Wednesday, March 1, 2017

A First Time Slice

Although I have been blogging for years, this is my first time to participate in the Slice of Life.  This will be a unique writing opportunity for me to share a slice of my daily life for the next 31 days.  Although I have been blogging for quite some time, I have not always been consistent. It is my hope that through this challenge, I will find not only time in my day, but inspiration to write...regularly...and share my voice. So...here it goes...

My morning was off to an unusual start, as we were without power due to an early morning storm.  It was a quiet morning, except for the wind, which caused the trees to crash against one another and the birds seemed to be quite restless as they chirped much louder than usual.  As I walked around the exterior of my home to check for any damage, I was struck with just how quiet and still, albeit for the wind, things appeared. Thankfully, all was in tact and it was time to head into work.  
Prior to class, I had the pleasure of conducting interviews for teacher candidates applying for acceptance into our educator preparation program.  It was here that I saw fresh, young faces aspiring to be future classroom teachers.  While all bring vastly different talents and ideals, the one commonality they share is the desire to make a difference in the life of a child.  
Why isn't this the reason nearly all of us entered this profession initially?  
I was struck by their honesty and hopefulness and for this moment...I was not only reminded of a younger version of myself, but more importantly, I was reminded that we should be grateful and celebrate the fact that we still have young people who desire to change the world...one child at a time!  

2 comments:

DLynneMartin said...

A fierce commitment to students - their achievement, their social and emotional thriving - grows from that initial passion for making a difference in the lives of of the students. Important to be a learner ourselves! Thank you for your slice of life shared. ❤

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this! I have a first year teaching resident this year, and I can relate to that wonderful, fresh optimism they bring. What a gift!