Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Maya Angelou 4/4/28-5/28/14


Today, we celebrate poet and civil rights activists, Maya Angelou!  In her book, Poetry for Young People, I came across this poem that speaks about aging.  

I think it is a beautiful reminder about aging.  As I read this poem this morning, I fondly remembered my grandfather, Pa.  I think of him often and miss him so very much.  

Several years ago when I was working on my Master's Degree, I participated in the National Writing Project.  Simply put, this was one the most amazing experiences that I have ever had!  It was during this life-changing week that I wrote this poem about my grandfather:








My confidant, my partner in crime, my buddy; MY PA
I see your reddish-brown skin, warm, gentle eyes, and tanned, rugged hands.
I hear your distinguishable laughter, feel my broken heart, and taste my uncontrollable tears.

I wonder: where are your blue jeans, red flannel shirt, and moccasins?
I feel empty because you are silent, I feel cheated because you left too soon,
and yet, I feel lucky to have shared so many wonderful years.


No comments: