Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Well Said


Author, Neil Gaiman says it very well in this statement and my favorite word is OBLIGATION.  

Dictionary.com defines obligation as: something by which a person is bound or obliges to do certain things, and which arises out of a sense of duty or results from custom, law, etc. 

As a teacher, I believe that we have an obligation to read aloud (everyday) to our students.  We need to model good reading, introduce them to good books, and encourage them to read.  

As a parent, I always believed it was important to read to my daughter.  I believed in the importance of creating a print-rich home...we had books everywhere and we read aloud often.  Today, she is an avid reader and I like to think that I may have influenced that habit!  One of my most favorite reading memories is actually a time when she read aloud to me!  We had visited Wake Forest Law School and had a long drive back home, so as I drove, she read 250 pages of Divergent!  I had an experience much better than an audio book...I had a live reader, who paused, encouraged discussion, and provided me a drive of a lifetime!  

No comments: